Huge $1million award offered to find missing man presumed murdered after he disappeared 20 YEARS ago after driving home from work and his car found dumped
- Ian Charles Draper, 37, was last seen leaving workplace at Mount Pritchard
- His 1992 white Ford Falcon found on September 17 2001 locked and undamaged
- Police are urging for assistance and co-operation from the public on the matter
A $1 million reward has been offered in a desperate effort to find a missing man who disappeared 20 years ago and is presumed murdered.
Ian Charles Draper, 37, was last seen leaving work at Mount Pritchard Community Club in Sydney’s south-west in his 1992 white Ford Falcon on August 3, 2001.
His car was found locked and undamaged in the nearby suburb of Leppington on September 17, 2001, but containing no evidence.
Ian Charles Draper, 37, was last seen leaving work at Mount Pritchard Community Club in Sydney’s south-west on August 3, 2001
Mr Draper is presumed to have been murdered with the reward aimed to uncover how he was killed and bring those responsible to justice.
Checks of Mr Draper’s phone and bank records found they were not used or accessed since his disappearance.
Police pleaded for help from the public and insisted any assistance would be treated as confidential. A $100,000 reward in 2005 failed to crack the case.
A year earlier, a coronial inquest could not determine how he died.
NSW Police on Monday renewed the appeal at the start of Australia’s Missing Persons Week.
‘After two decades of unanswered questions, Ian’s family deserve to know what happened to their son and to lay him to rest,’ Detective Superintendent Danny Doherty said.
Mr Draper’s mother Janet implored the public to come forward.
‘Last week was Ian’s birthday and we have now spent 20 years without him, missing out on celebrating these milestones,’ she said.
‘Ian was a loving son, brother, uncle and friend and taken far too soon.’
There are 239 NSW Government rewards on offer with two more increased rewards of $1 million each being announced this week.
The annual Missing Persons Week campaign raises awareness of the issues and impacts surrounding missing persons.
Mr Draper’s white 1992 Ford Falcon was found locked and undamaged in the nearby suburb of Leppington on September 17, 2001, but containing no evidence.
Police Minister David Elliot said a targeted SMS text system was being rolled out to help the NSW Police Force find vulnerable missing people.
‘The system sends an SMS alert to mobile phones within a specific geographic area describing the missing person and including a link to their image,’ he said.
‘It enables people within the key area to help police by being their eyes and ears in the community, and we know it works.
‘Since the system began in March this year, many have been found within hours, sometimes minutes, of an SMS being sent.’
State crime command director Detective Chief Superintendent Darren Bennett called the geo-targeting system an invaluable tool for helping find missing people in real-time.
‘While the vast majority of people reported missing are found by police within the first 24 hours, there are long-term cases that remain open and under investigation and regularly reviewed,’ he said.
Missing Persons Week will run until next Saturday.