Kay Burley ‘off air AGAIN’: Sky News host tweets ‘see you soon’ and reveals co-worker tested positive for Covid just THREE days after she returned from six-month lockdown-breach suspension
- Kay Burley hinted she will be off air after colleague tested positive for Covid
- Presenter was suspended last year after her 60th birthday celebrations
- She made her return to Sky News on Monday morning after six months off-air
Sky News presenter Kay Burley has hinted she will be off air again after one of her colleagues tested positive for Covid-19 – just three days after the presenter returned to work for the first time in six months.
The journalist, who was suspended last year after she was spotted flouting coronavirus restrictions for her 60th birthday celebrations, appeared to suggest she would need to self-isolate after one of her co-workers tested positive for the virus.
In a tweet, the presenter wrote: ‘Hi all, one of my hard-working team has tested positive for Covid. Please wish them better. I’ll see you soon.’
It comes just days after Ms Burley, who joined Sky’s rolling news channel in 1988, made a triumphant return to Sky News on Monday following a six-month suspension.
Sky News presenter Kay Burley has hinted she may be off air again after a member of her team tested positive for Covid-19
In a tweet, the Sky News presenter appeared to suggest that she would need to self-isolate after her colleague tested positive for the virus
On her first show back this week, Ms Burley, who wore a blue suit, told her viewers at 7am: ‘Hello everybody, it is great to be back. It is 7 o’clock here in the UK, welcome wherever you are – let’s crack on.’
During the programme, the journalist made periodic mentions to her return, saying after 8am: ‘Hi everyone, great to be back’.
She also covered news over the mounting Tory rebellion over foreign aid cuts, spoke to Gordon Brown on vaccines and the G7, and discussed the possible measures to tackle the ‘exploitative exports of puppies into the UK’.
Her return came just days after she dispelled rumours that she had left the broadcaster by posting a photo of herself captioned: ‘See you on Monday. Hope you’re as happy as I am to be back.’
On December 5 last year, the journalist breached lockdown restrictions to celebrate her 60th birthday in London.
The night saw her visit a restaurant with nine other diners and then use a different restaurant’s bathroom after the 11pm curfew.
Ms Burley then continued the party at her Knightsbridge home with three others.
After the birthday party was exposed by Guido, Ms Burley revealed she was taking a break from work after an internal review carried out by Sky into her birthday celebrations found that ‘Covid guidelines were breached’.
A statement released by Ms Burley said: ‘I have today agreed with Sky News to step back from my broadcasting role for a period of reflection.
On Monday, Ms Burley, who wore a blue suit, told her viewers at 7am that is was ‘great to be back’
Ms Burley was seen and photographed breaking the Tier 2 Covid 19 rules with her December night out
Pictured: The route Kay Burley and colleagues took across London as she celebrated her birthday on December 5
‘It’s clear to me that we are all in the fight against Covid-19 and that we all have a duty to stick firmly by the rules.
‘It doesn’t matter that I thought I was Covid-compliant on a recent social event. The fact is I was wrong, I made a big mistake, and I am sorry.
‘Some dear friends and colleagues – some of the most talented and committed professionals in our business – have been pulled into this episode and I regret this enormously.
‘I was one of the founding presenters on Sky News. No one is prouder of our channel’s reputation, the professionals on our team and the impact we make.
This month the presenter confirmed her return by posting a photo of herself captioned: ‘See you on Monday. Hope you’re as happy as I am to be back’
‘I very much look forward to being able to continue my 32-year career with Sky when I return.’
Sky’s political editor Beth Rigby and reporter Inzamam Rashid were also each suspended for three months for their involvement in the night out.
Ms Burley was one of the founding presenters on Sky News after she was hired in 1988.
She previously hosted an afternoon live show but was moved to anchor the breakfast programme in 2019.
MailOnline has contacted Sky News and Ms Burley for comment.