Lennox Lewis reveals talks with Mike Tyson over heavyweight rematch are underway and could be confirmed ‘SOON’ – 18 years on after initial clash which he won via an eighth-round KO
Lennox Lewis is in discussions with Mike Tyson over the pair going toe-to-toe again in the ring – 19 years after their first heavyweight showdown.
Tyson, 54, had tongues wagging when he impressed against Roy Jones Jr, 51, in an eight-round exhibition on November 28 – a contest the ended in a draw, although many felt that ‘Iron Mike’ had won.
Tyson has been in talks previously about facing old foe Evander Holyfield, 58, next but according to Lewis they could be about to rekindle their 2002 encounter.
Lennox Lewis (left) has confirmed he is in talks with Mike Tyson over a heavyweight rematch
Speaking on Saturday, while commentating on Andy Ruiz Jr’s return fight on FOX Sports, the 55-year-old admitted there is communication with Tyson’s camp.
He said: ‘Not yet, but soon – maybe. We’re talking.’
In the pair’s previous clash, which took place at the Pyramid Arena in Memphis, Tennessee; it was Lewis who emerged victorious – with the Brit knocking out the American in the eighth round to retain his WBC, IBF, IBO, The Ring, and lineal crowns.
Speaking in March, Lewis opened the door to comeback to ring following his official retirement in February 2004.
‘If the public wanted it then we would probably talk.
‘I don’t know. I don’t really have nothing pushing me in the ring right now. People would love to see that fight but I don’t know.’
Lewis is definitely on Tyson’s radar with the American keen to face both he and Holyfield this year as well as current WBC champion Tyson Fury at some point.
‘I want Holyfield and Lewis this year,’ he said on his Hotboxin’ with Mike Tyson podcast last month.
‘I also want Fury. If I do that, I’ll say, ‘I’m just gonna live life.’