Conor McGregor declares Dustin Poirier trilogy fight is OFF as Irishman unleashes astonishing rant and calls American an ‘inbred hillbilly’ while vowing to make him ‘pay with his brain’
- Conor McGregor was due to fight Dustin Poirier for third time on July 10
- But he has declared that he will find a new opponent and says it is now off
- McGregor pledged to donate half a million to Poirier’s Good Fight Foundation
- But ‘Diamond’ is yet to receive the funds and row over the money has erupted
Conor McGregor has announced that his trilogy fight with Dustin Poirier is off and he will find a replacement for the UFC 264 headliner on July 10.
A row between the lightweight contenders erupted after Poirier said the half a million that McGregor promised donate to the American’s charity was never paid.
McGregor hit back, arguing that he never sends funds unless there was detailed evidence of where the money would go. And now the ‘Notorious’ has been so incensed that he is refusing to fight Poirier.
Conor McGregor says his trilogy with Dustin Poirier is off and he will find a replacement
Poirier replied to McGregor’s tirade with a clip of him knocking the Irishman out
The former two-weight champion took to social media again on Monday afternoon and posted a furious message.
He wrote: ‘You’re ripped you inbred hillbilly. Why do you wink with your ears? You f*****g brain dead hillbilly. 500k with no plan in place. Ye hang tight. Fool.
‘You must be new to money. The fight is off btw. I’m going to fight someone else on the 10th. Good luck on your old contract kid.’
He then went on: ‘My team does their due diligence to make sure every donation meets the mark. My generosity is known.
‘You will pay with your brain for this attempt at smearing my name. Shooting ass shelling ass b****. Little b***** kicks from a shell. Good luck when you’re caught. You’re f*****.’
McGregor’s third fight with Poirier was eagerly anticipated but is no longer on, he says
The Diamond said McGregor stopped responding to the foundation after the fight in January
Poirier then said the ‘Good Fight Foundation’ reached out three times with no reply
Poirier was firm on his stance as he again claimed McGregor’s camp failed to respond
Earlier in the day, Poirier responded to the Irishman claiming he will win the trilogy fight with a ‘front kick to the nose’ at UFC 264, by tweeting: ‘That’s a fun prediction! you also predicted a donation to my foundation and you and your team stopped responding after the fight in January. See you soon. July 10th Paid In Full!’
Poirier added: ‘We thanked him because his team reached out fight week to initiate the process but ghosted us the past 2 months after the fight.
‘My foundation has reached out 3 times since with no reply. We’ve moved past it! We will be announcing our next goal soon! It’s a big one.’
In response to his rival’s claims, McGregor said: ‘A donation, not a debt. We’ve been awaiting the plans for the money that never came. I do with all my donations. Know where it’s going dot for dot. Otherwise it goes walking.
McGregor suffered a shock defeat by Poirier in January in the main event of UFC 257
‘As is the case with a lot of these foundations, sadly. You took the McG over the belt shows I was right.’
Poirier responded: ‘100% never a debt. You offered, we accepted, and like I said your Team never responded to our emails regarding the process of where funds would be put to work! July 10th you will taste defeat yet Again.’
It would be a seismic blow to the UFC to have one of the biggest fights this year cancelled.
McGregor remains their greatest pay-per-view star and Poirier opted to fight him in a lucrative third contest rather than face off against Charles Oliveira or Michael Chandler for the title.
If the match-up has been shelved as McGregor says, the organisation will be scrambling to find a replacement, although there should be no shortage of takers given the Irishman’s profile and fragility in January.