BREAKING: Now THREE Republican Senators have been censured for voting to convict Trump: Pat Toomey and Richard Burr join Bill Cassidy in being punished by their party while Utah GOP calls Mitt Romney an ‘agent of the deep state’
- Three of the seven have already been formally condemned by their state party
- Three more are facing calls for their censure in response to voting to impeach
- Of the seven, only Lisa Murkowski of Alaska is yet to be reprimanded
- On Monday night Richard Burr of North Carolina was the latest to be censured
- He followed Bill Cassidy of Louisiana and Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania
- Mitch McConnell, Senate Minority Leader, was also criticized for his response
- McConnell voted to acquit Trump on Saturday, but then fiercely attacked him
Senator Richard Burr of North Carolina was formally reprimanded by his state Republican party on Monday night after he voted to convict Donald Trump – making him the third of the seven Republicans who turned on their former president to be punished.
The seven senators – Barr, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Susan Collins of Maine, Mitt Romney of Utah, Ben Sasse of Nebraska, Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania and Bill Cassidy of Louisiana – all knew they risked angering some voters by opting to impeach Trump.
Bill Cassidy, Republican senator for Louisiana, was censured immediately after his vote
Pat Toomey, Republican senator for Pennsylvania, has been censured by his state party
Cassidy was censured formally by his party on Saturday, and Toomey shortly after.
One of Toomey’s districts, Clarion County, called their senator’s impeachment vote ‘a purely self-serving vindictive and punitive action by those with establishment political objectives,’ in a document obtained by The Hill.
Burr and Toomey have both already announced that they are stepping down in 2022.
Murkowski is the only one of the seven who is not facing an imminent censure from her party.
Romney, who was the lone Republican to vote for Trump’s impeachment in February 2020, was facing a particularly vitriolic backlash.
His state party accuse him, in a censure motion being circulated among Utah Republicans, of being ‘an agent for the Establishment Deep State.’
They concludes Romney used his ‘senatorial power and influence to undermine’ Trump.
Mitt Romney of Utah is the only Republican senator who voted to impeach Trump twice